Land on the margin of the sea, or a lake or river. In common parlance, the word “shore” is understood to mean the line that separates the tide-water from the laud about it. wherever that line may be, and in whatever stage of the tide. The word “shore,” in its legal and technical sense, indicates the lands adjacent to navigable waters, where the tide flows and reflows, which at high tides are submerged, and at low tides are bare. Shiv- ely v. Bowlby, 152 U. S. 1. 14 Sup. Ct. 548, 38 L. Ed. 331; Mather v. Chapman. 40 Conn. 400, 10 Am. Rep. 40; U. S. v. Pacheco, 2 Wall. 500, 17 L. Ed. 805; Harlan & Ilollings- worth Co. v. Paschall, 5 Del. Ch. 403; Lacy v. Green, 84 Pa. 519; Axline v. Shaw, 35 Fla. 305. 17 South. 411, 28 L. R. A. 301. Sea-shore is that space of land over which the waters of the sea spread in the highest water, during the winter season. Civ. Code La. art. 451. When the sea-shore is referred to as a boundary. the meaning must be understood to be the margin of the sea in its usual and ordinary state; the ground between the ordinary high- water mark and low-water mark is the shore. Hence a deed of land bounded at or by the “shore” will convey the flats as appurtenant. Storer v. Freeman, 0 Mass. 435, 4 Am. Dec. 155.
What is SHORE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?