Land on the margin of the sea, or a lake or river. In common parlance, the word “shore” is understood to mean the line that separates the tide-water from the laud about it. wherever that line may be, and in whatever stage of the tide. The word “shore,” in its legal and technical sense, indicates the lands adjacent to navigable waters, where the tide flows and reflows, which at high tides are submerged, and at low tides are bare. Shiv- ely v. Bowlby, 152 U. S. 1. 14 Sup. Ct. 548, 38 L. Ed. 331; Mather v. Chapman. 40 Conn. 400, 10 Am. Rep. 40; U. S. v. Pacheco, 2 Wall. 500, 17 L. Ed. 805; Harlan & Ilollings- worth Co. v. Paschall, 5 Del. Ch. 403; Lacy v. Green, 84 Pa. 519; Axline v. Shaw, 35 Fla. 305. 17 South. 411, 28 L. R. A. 301. Sea-shore is that space of land over which the waters of the sea spread in the highest water, during the winter season. Civ. Code La. art. 451. When the sea-shore is referred to as a boundary. the meaning must be understood to be the margin of the sea in its usual and ordinary state; the ground between the ordinary high- water mark and low-water mark is the shore. Hence a deed of land bounded at or by the “shore” will convey the flats as appurtenant. Storer v. Freeman, 0 Mass. 435, 4 Am. Dec. 155.
What is SHORE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?