To adjust ascertain, or liquidate ; to pay. Parties are said to nettle an account when they go over its items and ascertain and agree upon the balance due from one to the other. Aud, when the party indebted pays such balance, he is also said to settle it Auzerais v. Naglee, 74 Cal. 00, 15 Pac. 371; Jackson v. Ely, 57 Ohio St. 450, 49 N. E. 792; People v. Green, 5 Daly (N. Y.) 201; Lynch v. Nugent, 80 Iowa, 422, 40 N. W. 01. To settle property is to limit it, or the income of it to several persons in succession, so that the person for the time beiug in the possession or enjoyment of it has no power to deprive the others of their right of future enjoyment Sweet. To settle a document is to make it right in form and in substance. Documents of difficulty or complexity, such as mining leases, settlements by will or deed, partnership agreements, etc., are generally settled by counsel. Id. The term “settle” is also applied to paupers. Settle np. A term, colloquial rather than legal, which is applied to the final collection, adjustment, and distribution of the estate of a decedent, a bankrupt, or an insolvent corporation. It includes the processes of collecting the property, paying debts and charges, and turning over the balance to those entitled to receive it
What is SETTEE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Take Someone To Small Claims Court
- What is Jury Nullification?
- Guide to Court Ordered Mediation
- Workplace Retaliation – What It Is And How To Handle It
- A Guide on Lemon Law for New & Used Cars
- The Exclusionary Rule
- Illegal Eviction – The Consequences & How to Avoid It
- California Landlord-Tenant Laws
- What is Duress?
- Conservatorship vs Guardianship
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?