Lat. The king. The king regarded as the party prosecuting in a criminal action; as in the form of entitling such actions, “Rex v. Doe.” Rex debet esse sub lege quia lex facit rerem. The king ought to be under the law, because the law makes the king. 1 Bl. Comm. 239. Rex est legalis et politicus. Lane, 27. The kiug is both a legal and political person. Rex est lex vivens. Jenk. Cent. 17. The king is the living law. Rex est major singulis, minor uni- versis. Bract. 1. 1, c. 8. The king is greater than any single person, less than all. Rex hoc solum non potest faccre quod non potest injuste agere. 11 Coke, 72. The king can do everything but an injustice. Rex non debit esse snb liomine, sed sub Deo et sub lege, quia lex facit re- gem. Bract, fol. 5. The king ought to be under no man, but under God and the law, because the law makes a king. Broom, Max. 47. Rex non potest peccare. The king cannot do wrong; the king can do no wrong. 2 Bolle, 304. An ancient and fundamental principle of the English constitution. Jenk. Cent. p. 9, case 10; 1 Bl. Comm. 240. Rex nunquam moritur. The king never dies. Broom, Max. 50; Branch, Max. (5th Ed.) 197; 1 Bl. Comm. 249.
What is REX?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?