Lat. The king. The king regarded as the party prosecuting in a criminal action; as in the form of entitling such actions, “Rex v. Doe.” Rex debet esse sub lege quia lex facit rerem. The king ought to be under the law, because the law makes the king. 1 Bl. Comm. 239. Rex est legalis et politicus. Lane, 27. The kiug is both a legal and political person. Rex est lex vivens. Jenk. Cent. 17. The king is the living law. Rex est major singulis, minor uni- versis. Bract. 1. 1, c. 8. The king is greater than any single person, less than all. Rex hoc solum non potest faccre quod non potest injuste agere. 11 Coke, 72. The king can do everything but an injustice. Rex non debit esse snb liomine, sed sub Deo et sub lege, quia lex facit re- gem. Bract, fol. 5. The king ought to be under no man, but under God and the law, because the law makes a king. Broom, Max. 47. Rex non potest peccare. The king cannot do wrong; the king can do no wrong. 2 Bolle, 304. An ancient and fundamental principle of the English constitution. Jenk. Cent. p. 9, case 10; 1 Bl. Comm. 240. Rex nunquam moritur. The king never dies. Broom, Max. 50; Branch, Max. (5th Ed.) 197; 1 Bl. Comm. 249.
What is REX?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?