Lat. The king. The king regarded as the party prosecuting in a criminal action; as in the form of entitling such actions, “Rex v. Doe.” Rex debet esse sub lege quia lex facit rerem. The king ought to be under the law, because the law makes the king. 1 Bl. Comm. 239. Rex est legalis et politicus. Lane, 27. The kiug is both a legal and political person. Rex est lex vivens. Jenk. Cent. 17. The king is the living law. Rex est major singulis, minor uni- versis. Bract. 1. 1, c. 8. The king is greater than any single person, less than all. Rex hoc solum non potest faccre quod non potest injuste agere. 11 Coke, 72. The king can do everything but an injustice. Rex non debit esse snb liomine, sed sub Deo et sub lege, quia lex facit re- gem. Bract, fol. 5. The king ought to be under no man, but under God and the law, because the law makes a king. Broom, Max. 47. Rex non potest peccare. The king cannot do wrong; the king can do no wrong. 2 Bolle, 304. An ancient and fundamental principle of the English constitution. Jenk. Cent. p. 9, case 10; 1 Bl. Comm. 240. Rex nunquam moritur. The king never dies. Broom, Max. 50; Branch, Max. (5th Ed.) 197; 1 Bl. Comm. 249.
What is REX?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Nepotism, Cronyism, & Favoritism: Illegal Or Unethical?
- How To Get A Green Card
- How To Obtain A Criminal Background Check In Pennsylvania
- How To Avoid Probate
- How To Check If A Number Is On The Do Not Call List
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?