Lat. In the civil law. That mode of acquisition whereby one becomes proprietor of a thing on the ground that he has for a long time possessed it as his own; prescription. Dig. 41, 3. It was anciently distinguished from “usueapio,” (q. v.,) but was blended with it by Justinian. Praescriptio est titulns ex usu et tempore substantiam capiens ab auctori- tate legis. Co. Litt. 113. Prescription is a title by authority of law, deriving its force from use and time. Praescriptio et executio non pertinent ad valorem contractus, sed ad tempus et modum actionis instituendae. Prescription and execution do not affect the va- ‘ lidity of the contract, but the time and manner of bringing an action. Pearsall v. Dwight. 2 Mass. 84, 3 Am. Dec. 35; Decouche v. Savetier, 3 Johns. Ch. (N. Y.) 100, 219, 8 Am. Dec. 478.
What is PROSCRIPTIO?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?