In the law relating to corporations, those persons are called the “promoters” of a company who first associate themselves together for the purpose of organizing the company, issuing its prospectus, procuring subscriptions to the stock, securing a charter, etc. See Dickermau v. Northern Trust Co., 170 U. S. 181, 20 Sup. Ct. 311, 44 L. Ed. 423; Bosher v. Richmond & H. Land Co., 89 Va. 455, 16 S. E. 360, 37 Am. St. Rep. 879; Yale Gas Stove Co. v. Wilcox, 04 Conn. 101, 29 Atl. 303, 25 L. R. A. 90, 42 Am. St. Rep. 159; Densmore Oil Co. v. Densmore, 64 Pa. 49. In English practice. Those persons who. in popular and penal actions, prosecute of- fenders in their own names and that of the king, and are thereby entitled to part of the fines and penalties for their pains, are called “promoters.” Brown. The term Is also applied to a party who puts in motion an ecclesiastical tribunal, for the purpose of correcting the manners ot any person who has violated the laws eccle- siastical ; and one who takes such a course is said to “promote the office of the judge.” See Mozley & Whitley.
What is PROMOTERS?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Conservatorship vs Guardianship
- Housing For Felons
- How to Fill Out Form W-9
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?