other like officer, for the bringing of a person or record before him. Cowell. The direction formerly issued by a sheriff to the proper returning officers of cities and boroughs within his jurisdiction for the election of members to serve in parliament 1 Bl. Comm. ITS. The direction by the judges or commissioners of assize to the sheriff for the sum- moning a sufficient number of jurors. 3 Steph. Comm. 516. The direction issued by the clerk of the peace to the overseers of parishes for making out the jury lists. 3 Steph. Comm. 516, note. In old English criminal law. Instigation to commit a crime. Bract, fol. 1386; Cowell. In Scotch law. An order, mandate, or warrant to do some act. The precept of seisin was the order of a superior to his bailie, to give infeftment of certain lands to his vassal. Bell. In old French law. A kind of letters issued by the king in subversion of the laws, being orders to the judges to do or tolerate things contrary to law.
What is PREDECESSOR?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Conservatorship vs Guardianship
- Housing For Felons
- How to Fill Out Form W-9
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?