Lat In the civil law. Power; authority; domination ; empire. Im- pcrium, or the jurisdiction of magistrates. The power of the father over his children, patria potest as. The authority of masters over their slaves. See Inst. 1, 9, 12; Dig. 2, 1, 13, 1; Id., 14, 1; Id. 14, 4, 1, 4. Potestas stricte interpretatur. A power is strictly interpreted. Jenk. Cent. p. 17, case 29, in marg. Potestas luprema scipsum dissolvere potest, ligare non potest. Supreme power can dissolve [unloose] but cannot bind itself. Branch, Princ.; Bacon. Potior est conditio defendentis. Better is the condition of the defendant, [than that of the plaintiff.] Broom, Max. 740; Cowp. 343; Williams v. Ingell, 21 Pick. (Mass.) 2S9; White v. Franklin Bank, 22 Pick. (Mass.) 180, 1S7; Cranson v. Goss, 107 Mass. 440, 9 Am. Rep. 45.
What is POTESTAS?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?