In modern constitutional law. the name “plebiscite” has been given to a vote of the entire people, (that is, the aggregate of tho enfranchised individuals composing a state or nation.) expressing their choice for or against a proposed law or enactment. submitted to them, and which. If adopted, will work a radical change in the constitution, or which Is beyond the powers of the regular legislative body. The pro- ceeding is extraordinary, and is generally revolutionary In its character; an example of which may be seen in the plebiscites submitted to the French people by Louis Na- poleon, whereby the Second Empire was established. But the principle of the plebiscite has been incorporated in the modern Swiss constitution, (under the name of “ref- erendum”) by which a revision of the constitution must be undertaken when demanded by the vote of fifty thousand Swiss citizens. Maine, Popular Govt. 40, 90.
What is PLEBISCITE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?