Such as are either by word of mouth or are committed to writing, but are not under seal. The common law draws only one great line, between things under seal and not under seal. Wharton. Synonyms distinguished. The term “agreement” is often used as synonymous with “contract.” Properly speaking, however, it is a wider term than “contract” (Anson, Cont. 4.) An agreement might not be a contract, because not fulfilling some requirement of the law of the place in which it is made. So, where a contract embodies a series of mutual stipulations or constituent clauses, each of these clauses might be denominated an “agreement.” “Agreement” is seldom applied to specialties; “contract” is generally confined to simple contracts; and “promise” refers to the engagement of a party without reference to the reasons or considerations for it, or the duties of other parties. Pars. Cont. 6. “Agreement” is more comprehensive than “promise;” signifies a mutual contract, on consideration, between two or more parties. A statute (of frauds) which requires the agreement to be in writing includes the consideration. Wain v. Warlters, 5 East, 10. “Agreement” is not synonymous with “promise” or “undertaking,” but, in its more proper and correct sense, signifies a mutual contract, on consideration, between two or more parties, and implies a consideration. Andrews v. Pontile, 24 Wend. (N. Y.) 2S5.
What is PAROL AGREEMENTS?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How to Fill Out Form W-9
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?