Things indispensable, or things proper and useful, for the sustenance of human life. This is a relative term, and its meaning will contract or expand according to the situation and social condition of the person referred to. Megraw v. Woods, 93 Mo. App. 047, 67 S. W. 709; Warner v. Ileiden, 28 Wis. 517, 9 Am. Bep. 515; Artz v. Robertson, 50 111. App. 27; Conant v. Burn- ham, 133 Mass. 505, 43 Am. Bep. 532. In reference to the contracts of infants, this term is not used in its strictest sense, nor limited to that which is required to sus- tain life. Those things which are proper and suitable to each individual, according to his circumstances and condition in life, are necessaries, if not supplied from some other source. See Hamilton v. Lane, 138 Mass. 300; Jordnu v. Collield, 70 N. C. 113; Middle- bury College v. Chandler, 10 Vt. 0S5, 42 Am. Dec. 537; Breed v. Judd, 1 Gray (Mass.) 458. In the case of ships the term “necessaries” means such things as are fit and proper for the service in which the ship is engaged, and such as the owner, being a prudent man, would have ordered if present; e. g., anchors, rigging, repairs, victuals. Maude & P. Shipp. 71, 113. The master may hypothecate the ship for necessaries supplied abroad so as to bind the owner. Sweet. See The Plymouth Rock, 19 Fed. Cas. 898; Hubbard v. Roach (C. C.) 2 Fed. 394; The Gustavia, 11 Fed. Cas. 120. Necessarium est quod non potest aliter ?e habere. That is necessary which cannot be otherwise
What is NECESSARIES?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?