Iu maritime law. Anchoring or making fast to the shore or dock; the securing or confining a vessel in a particular station, as by cables and anchors or by a line or chain run to the wharf. A vessel is “moored In safety,” within the meaning of a policy of marine insurance, when she is thus moored to a wharf or dock, free from any immediate danger from auy of the perils insured against. See 1 Phil. Ins. 908; Walsh v. New York Floating Dry Dock Co., 8 Daly (N. Y.) 387; Flandreau v. Elsworth, 9 Misc. Rep. 340. 29 N. Y. Supp. 094; Bramhall v. Sun Mut. Ins. Co., 104 Mass. 510, 0 Am. ltep. 261. MOOT, n. In English law. Moots are exercises in pleading, and In arguing doubtful cases and questions, by the students of an inn of court before the benchers of the inn. Sweet. In Saxon law. A meeting or assemblage of people, particularly for governmental or judicial purposes. The more usual forms of the word were “mote” and “gemot.” See those titles.
What is MOORING?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- FAQ About The Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?