In commercial law. A privilege or peculiar advantage vested in one or more persons or companies, consisting in the exclusive right (or power) to carry on a particular business or trade, manufacture a particular article, or control the sale of the whole supply of a particular commodity. Defined in English law to be “a license or privilege allowed by the king for the sole buying and selling, making, working, or using, of anything whatsoever; whereby the subject in general is restrained from that liberty of manufacturing or trading which he had before.” 4 Bl. Comm. 159; 4 Steph. Comm. 291. And see State v. Duluth Board of Trade, 107 Minn. 506, 121 N. W. 395, 23 L. It. A. (N. S.) 1260. A monopoly consists in the ownership or control of so large a part of the market- supply or output of a given commodity as to stifle competition, restrict the freedom of commerce, and give the monopolist control over prices. See State v. Eastern Coal Co., 20 R. I. 254, 70 Atl. 1, 132 Am. St. Rep. 817; Over v. Byrain Foundry Co., 37 Ind. App. 452, 77 N. E. 302, 117 Am. St. Rep. 327; State v. Haworth, 122 Ind. 462, 23 N. E. 040, 7 L. R. A. 240; Davenport v. Kleinschmidt 6 Mont. 502, 13 Pac. 249; Ex parte Levy, 43 Ark. 42, 51 Am. Rep. 550; Case of Monopolies, 11 Coke, 84; Laredo v. International Bridge, etc., Co., 66 Fed. 240, 14 C. C. A. 1; International Tooth Crown Co. v. Ilanks Dental Ass’n (C. C.) Ill Fed. 91G; Queen Ins. Co. v. State, 80 Tex. 250, 24 S. W. 307, 22 L. R. A. 483; Herriman v. Menzies, 115 Cal. 16, 46 Pac. 730, 35 L. R. A. 318, 56 Am St. Rep. 81.
What is MONOPOLY?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How to Fill Out Form W-9
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?