In commercial law. A privilege or peculiar advantage vested in one or more persons or companies, consisting in the exclusive right (or power) to carry on a particular business or trade, manufacture a particular article, or control the sale of the whole supply of a particular commodity. Defined in English law to be “a license or privilege allowed by the king for the sole buying and selling, making, working, or using, of anything whatsoever; whereby the subject in general is restrained from that liberty of manufacturing or trading which he had before.” 4 Bl. Comm. 159; 4 Steph. Comm. 291. And see State v. Duluth Board of Trade, 107 Minn. 506, 121 N. W. 395, 23 L. It. A. (N. S.) 1260. A monopoly consists in the ownership or control of so large a part of the market- supply or output of a given commodity as to stifle competition, restrict the freedom of commerce, and give the monopolist control over prices. See State v. Eastern Coal Co., 20 R. I. 254, 70 Atl. 1, 132 Am. St. Rep. 817; Over v. Byrain Foundry Co., 37 Ind. App. 452, 77 N. E. 302, 117 Am. St. Rep. 327; State v. Haworth, 122 Ind. 462, 23 N. E. 040, 7 L. R. A. 240; Davenport v. Kleinschmidt 6 Mont. 502, 13 Pac. 249; Ex parte Levy, 43 Ark. 42, 51 Am. Rep. 550; Case of Monopolies, 11 Coke, 84; Laredo v. International Bridge, etc., Co., 66 Fed. 240, 14 C. C. A. 1; International Tooth Crown Co. v. Ilanks Dental Ass’n (C. C.) Ill Fed. 91G; Queen Ins. Co. v. State, 80 Tex. 250, 24 S. W. 307, 22 L. R. A. 483; Herriman v. Menzies, 115 Cal. 16, 46 Pac. 730, 35 L. R. A. 318, 56 Am St. Rep. 81.
What is MONOPOLY?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?