The jagged end of a stick of wood made by the cutting. Pub. St. Mass. 1S82, p. 1292.
Relatives by blood. “Kindred of the whole blood, preferred to kindred of the half blood.” 4 Kent, Comm. 404, notes. See Butler v. Elytou Land Co., 84 Ala. 384, 4 South. 675; Farr v. Flood, 11 Gush. (Mass.) 25; Brookfield v. Allen, 6 Allen (Mass.) 586; Wetter v. Walker, 62 Ga. 144
In Scotch law. A church; the church; the established church of Scotland.
The Mohammedan book of faith. It contains both ecclesiastical and secular laws.
In Saxon and old English law A man; a serving man. Buskarl, a seaman. Huskarl, a house servant. Spelman.
A customary cart-way; also a commutation for a customary carriage- duty. Cowell.
The sovereign, ruler, or chief executive magistrate of a state or nation whose constitution is of the kind called “monarchical” is thus named if a man; if it be a woman, she is called “queen.” The word expresses the idea of one who rules singly over a whole people or has the highest executive power; but the office may be either hereditary or elective, and the sovereignty of the king may or may not be absolute, according to the constitution of the country.
The ceremony of touching the lips to a copy of the Bible, used in administering oaths. It is the external symbol of the witness’ acknowledgment of the obligation of the oath.
In Hindu law. A mortgage-deed or deed of conditional sale, being one of the customary deeds or instruments of security in India as declared by regulation of 1800, which regulates the legal proceedings to be taken to enforce such a security. It is also called “JJycliil-Wuffa.” Wharton.
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?