Pastures. Domesday; Co. Litt. 4b. A term often inserted iu old deeds aud conveyances. Cowell. LET, v. Ill conveyancing. To demise or lease. “To let and set” is an old expression. In practice. To deliver. “To let to bail” is to deliver to bail ou arrest. In contracts. To award to one of several persons, who have submitted proposals therefor, the contract for erecting public works or doing some part of the work con- nected therewith, or rendering some other service to government for a stipulated com- pensation. Letting the contract is the choosing one from among the number of bidders, and Ihe formal making of the contract with him. The letting, or putting out. is a different thing from the iu- vitation to make proposals; the letting is subsequent to the invitation. It is the act of awarding the contract to the proposer, after the proposals have been received and considered. See Eppes v. Railroad Co., 35 Ala. 33, 55. In the language of judicial orders and decrees, the word “let” (in the imperative) imports a positive direction or command. Thus the phrase “let the writ issue as prayed” is equivalent to “it Is hereby ordered that the writ issue,” etc. See Ingram v. Laroussini, 50 La. Ann. 09, 23 South. 498. LET, n. In old conveyancing. Hindrance; obstruction ; interruption. Still occasionally used in the phrase “without any let, suit, trouble,” etc. LET IN. In practice. To admit a party as a matter of favor; as to open a judgment and “let the defendant in” to a defense.
What is LESWES?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?