Negligence, consisting in the omission of something which a party might do, and might reasonably be expected to do, towards the vindication or enforcement of his rights. The word is generally the synonym of “remissness,” “dilatoriness,” “unreasonable or unexcused delay,” the opposite of “vigilance,” and means a want of activity and diligence in making a claim or moving for the enforcement of a right (particularly in equity) which will a Word ground for presuming against it. or for refusing relief, where that is discretionary with the court. See Ring v. Lawless, 190 111. 520, 00 N. E. 881; Wissler v. Craig, 80 Va. 30; Morse v. Siebold, 147 111. 31S. 35 N. E. 309; Rabb v. Sullivan, 43 S. C. 430, 21 S. E. 277; Graff v. Portland, etc., Co.. 12 Colo. App. 100, 54 Pac. 854; Coosaw Min. Co. v. Carolina Min. Co. (C. C.) 75 Fed. SOS; Parker v. Rethel Hotel Co.. 90 Tenn. 252, 34 S. W. 209, 31 L R. A. 700; Chase v. Chase. 20 R. I. 202, 37 Atl. 804; Ilellains v. Prior, 04 S. C. 290, 42 S. E. 100; First Nat. Rank v. Nelson, 106 Ala. 535. 18 South. 154; Cole v. Ballard, 78 Va. 147; Selbag v. Abitbol, 4 Maule & S. 462.
What is LACHES?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is Racketeering?
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?