Negligence, consisting in the omission of something which a party might do, and might reasonably be expected to do, towards the vindication or enforcement of his rights. The word is generally the synonym of “remissness,” “dilatoriness,” “unreasonable or unexcused delay,” the opposite of “vigilance,” and means a want of activity and diligence in making a claim or moving for the enforcement of a right (particularly in equity) which will a Word ground for presuming against it. or for refusing relief, where that is discretionary with the court. See Ring v. Lawless, 190 111. 520, 00 N. E. 881; Wissler v. Craig, 80 Va. 30; Morse v. Siebold, 147 111. 31S. 35 N. E. 309; Rabb v. Sullivan, 43 S. C. 430, 21 S. E. 277; Graff v. Portland, etc., Co.. 12 Colo. App. 100, 54 Pac. 854; Coosaw Min. Co. v. Carolina Min. Co. (C. C.) 75 Fed. SOS; Parker v. Rethel Hotel Co.. 90 Tenn. 252, 34 S. W. 209, 31 L R. A. 700; Chase v. Chase. 20 R. I. 202, 37 Atl. 804; Ilellains v. Prior, 04 S. C. 290, 42 S. E. 100; First Nat. Rank v. Nelson, 106 Ala. 535. 18 South. 154; Cole v. Ballard, 78 Va. 147; Selbag v. Abitbol, 4 Maule & S. 462.
What is LACHES?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?