Irrelevancy; the fault of not properly pertaining to the issue orproceeding. The introduction of any matters into a bill, answer, or other pleading orproceeding in a suit, which are not properly before the court for decision, at anyparticular stage of the suit Story, Eq. PI.I 206; Harrison v. Perea, 168 U. S. 311, 18 Sup. Ct. 129, 42 L Ed. 478.In practice. A question propounded to a witness, or evidence offered or sought to beelicited, is called “impertinent” when it has no logical bearing upon the issue, is notnecessarily connected with it, or does not belong to the matter in hand. On the distinctionbetween pertinency and relevancy, we may quote the following remark of Dr.Wharton: “Relevancy is that which conduces to the proof of a pertinent hypothesis: apertinent hypothesis being one which, if sustained, would logically influence the issue.”1 Whart. Ev.
What is IMPERTINENCE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- FAQ About The Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online