Lat The same. According to Lord Coke, “idem” has two significations, sc.,idem syllabis seu verbis, (the same in syllables or words,) and idem re et scnsu, (thesame in substance and in sense.) 10 Coke, 124a.In old practice. The said, or aforesaid; said, aforesaid. Distinguished from “prcedictws”in old entries, though having the same general signification. Townsh. PI. 15, 16.Idem agens et patiens esse non potest.Jenk. Cent. 40. The same person cannot be both agent and patient; i. e., the doer andperson to whom the thing is done.Idem est facere, et non prohibere cum possis; et qui non prohibit, cum prohiberepossit, in culpa est, (aut jubct.)3 Inst. 158. To commit, and not to prohibit when in your power, is the same thing; andhe who does not prohibit when he can prohibit is in fault, or does the same as orderingit to be done.Idem est nihil dicere, et insufficienter dicere. It is the same thing to say nothing,and to say a thing insufficiently. 2 Inst. 178. To say a thing in an insufficient manner isthe same as not to say it at all. Applied to the plea of a prisoner. Id.Idem est non esse, et non apparere.It is the same thing not to be as not to appear. Jenk. Cent. 207. Not to appear is thesame thing as not to be. Broom, Max. 165.Idem est non probari et non esse; non deficit jus, sed probatio. What is not provedand what does not exist are the same; It Is not a defect of the law, but of proof.Idem est scire ant scire debere aut potuisse. To be bound to know or to be able toknow is the same as to know.
What is IDEM?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How Long is a Life Sentence?
- What is Entrapment?
- A Guide to the Types & Classes of Bankruptcy
- A Simple Guide to Medicare vs Medicaid
- What are the Miranda Rights?
- Property Management Law
- How Arbitration Works
- What is the Fourth Amendment?
- How To Start a Sole Proprietorship
- What Does Emancipation Mean?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?