Lat The same. According to Lord Coke, “idem” has two significations, sc.,idem syllabis seu verbis, (the same in syllables or words,) and idem re et scnsu, (thesame in substance and in sense.) 10 Coke, 124a.In old practice. The said, or aforesaid; said, aforesaid. Distinguished from “prcedictws”in old entries, though having the same general signification. Townsh. PI. 15, 16.Idem agens et patiens esse non potest.Jenk. Cent. 40. The same person cannot be both agent and patient; i. e., the doer andperson to whom the thing is done.Idem est facere, et non prohibere cum possis; et qui non prohibit, cum prohiberepossit, in culpa est, (aut jubct.)3 Inst. 158. To commit, and not to prohibit when in your power, is the same thing; andhe who does not prohibit when he can prohibit is in fault, or does the same as orderingit to be done.Idem est nihil dicere, et insufficienter dicere. It is the same thing to say nothing,and to say a thing insufficiently. 2 Inst. 178. To say a thing in an insufficient manner isthe same as not to say it at all. Applied to the plea of a prisoner. Id.Idem est non esse, et non apparere.It is the same thing not to be as not to appear. Jenk. Cent. 207. Not to appear is thesame thing as not to be. Broom, Max. 165.Idem est non probari et non esse; non deficit jus, sed probatio. What is not provedand what does not exist are the same; It Is not a defect of the law, but of proof.Idem est scire ant scire debere aut potuisse. To be bound to know or to be able toknow is the same as to know.
What is IDEM?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- W-9s: What It Is, Who They’re For, & How To Fill It Out
- Marijuana: Recreational, Grow, & Medical Laws By State 2020
- Economic Recession VS Depression: Similarities & Differences
- Brexit Explained For Those Who Don’t Live In The UK
- Imperialism Definition, Laws, & History: From Rome To Now
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online