In feudal law. A service (or the ceremony of rendering it) which a tenantwas bound to perform to his lord on receiving investiture of a fee, or succeeding to it asheir, in acknowledgment of the tenure. It is described by Littleton as the mosthonorable service of reverence that a free tenant might do to his lord. The ceremonywas as follows: The tenant, being ungirt and with bare head, knelt before the lord,the latter sitting, and held his hands extended and joined between the hands of thelord, and said: “I become your man [homo] from this day forward, of life and limb andearthly honor, and to you will be faithful and loyal, and bear you faith, for thetenements that I claim to hold of you, saving the faith that I owe unto our sovereignlord the king, so help me God.” The tenant then received a kiss from the lord. Homagecould be done only to the lord himself. Litt.
What is HOMAGE?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Economic Recession VS Depression: Similarities & Differences
- Brexit Explained For Those Who Don’t Live In The UK
- Imperialism Definition, Laws, & History: From Rome To Now
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Nepotism, Cronyism, & Favoritism: Illegal Or Unethical?
- How To Get A Green Card
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?