A trader who goes from place to place, or along the streets of a town, selling the goods which he carries with him.It is perhaps not essential to the idea, but is generally understood from the word,that a hawker is to be one who not only carries goods for sale, but seeks forpurchasers, either by outcry, which some lexicographers conceive as intimated by thederivation of the word, or by attracting notice and attention to ‘them, as goods for sale,by an actual exhibition or exposure of them, by placards or labels, or by a conventionalsignal, like the sound of a horn for the sale of fish. Com. v. Ober, 12 Cush. (Mass.) 495.And see Graffty v. Rushville, 107 Ind. 502, 8 N. B. 009. 57 Am. Rep. 128; Clements v.Casper. 4 Wyo. 494, 35 Pac. 472; Hall v. State. 39 Fla. 637, 23 South. 119.
What is HAWKER?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- FAQ About The Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online