In the civil law. Theright of a person to live in the house of another without prejudice to the property. Itdiffered from a usufruct, in this: that the usufructuary might apply the house to anypurpose, as of a store or manufactory; whereas the party having the right of habitationcould only use it for the residence of himself and family. 1 Browne, Civil Law, 184.In estates. A dwelling-house; a home- stall. 2 Bl. Comm. 4; 4 Bl. Comm. 220;Ilolmes v. Oregon & C. R. Co. (D. C.) 5 Fed. 527; Nowliu v. Scott, 10 Grat. (Va.) 65;Harvard College v. Gore, 5 Pick. (Mass.) 372.
What is HABITATION?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Economic Recession VS Depression: Similarities & Differences
- Brexit Explained For Those Who Don’t Live In The UK
- Imperialism Definition, Laws, & History: From Rome To Now
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Nepotism, Cronyism, & Favoritism: Illegal Or Unethical?
- How To Get A Green Card
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?