Settled dwelling in a given place; fixed and permanent residence there.This term is more comprehensive than “domicile,” for one may be domiciled In a givenplace though he does not spend the greater portion of his time there, or though he maybe absent for long periods. It is also more comprehensive than “residence,” for onemay reside in a given place only temporarily or for short periods on the occasion ofrepeated visits. But in neither case could he properly be called an “inhabitant” of thatplace or be said to have his “habitancy” there. See Atkinson v. Washington & JeffersonCollege. 54 W. Va. 32, 46 S. E. 253; Hairston v. Hairston, 27 Miss. 711, 61 Am. Dec.530; Abington v. North Bridgewater. 23 Pick. (Mass.) 170. And see DOMICILE; RESIDENCE.It is difficult to give an exact definition of “habitancy.” In general terms, one may bedesignated as an “inhabitant” of that place which constitutes the principal seat of hisresidence, of his business, pursuits, connections, attachments, and of his political andmunicipal relations. The term, therefore, embraces the fact of residence at a place,together with the intent to regard it and make it a home. The act and intent mustconcur. Lyman v. Fiske, 17 Pick. (Mass.) 231, 28 Am. Dec. 293.
What is HABITANCY?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How to Fill Out Form W-9
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?