Settled dwelling in a given place; fixed and permanent residence there.This term is more comprehensive than “domicile,” for one may be domiciled In a givenplace though he does not spend the greater portion of his time there, or though he maybe absent for long periods. It is also more comprehensive than “residence,” for onemay reside in a given place only temporarily or for short periods on the occasion ofrepeated visits. But in neither case could he properly be called an “inhabitant” of thatplace or be said to have his “habitancy” there. See Atkinson v. Washington & JeffersonCollege. 54 W. Va. 32, 46 S. E. 253; Hairston v. Hairston, 27 Miss. 711, 61 Am. Dec.530; Abington v. North Bridgewater. 23 Pick. (Mass.) 170. And see DOMICILE; RESIDENCE.It is difficult to give an exact definition of “habitancy.” In general terms, one may bedesignated as an “inhabitant” of that place which constitutes the principal seat of hisresidence, of his business, pursuits, connections, attachments, and of his political andmunicipal relations. The term, therefore, embraces the fact of residence at a place,together with the intent to regard it and make it a home. The act and intent mustconcur. Lyman v. Fiske, 17 Pick. (Mass.) 231, 28 Am. Dec. 293.
What is HABITANCY?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is a statute of limitations and how long does it last?
- What is the Fair Housing Act and who does it protect?
- How Long is a Life Sentence?
- What is Entrapment?
- A Guide to the Types & Classes of Bankruptcy
- A Simple Guide to Medicare vs Medicaid
- What are the Miranda Rights?
- Property Management Law
- How Arbitration Works
- What is the Fourth Amendment?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?