Freight is properly the price or compensation paid for the transportationof goods by a carrier, at sea, from port to port. Rut the term is also used to denote thehire paid for the carriage of goods on land from place to place, (usually by a railroadcompany, not an express company,) oron Inland streams or lakes. The name Is also applied to the goods or merchandisetransported by any of the above means. Brit- tan v. Barnaby, 21 IIow. 533, 10 L. Ed.177; Iluth v. Insurance Co., 8 Bosw. (X. V.) 552; Christie v. Davis Coal Co. (D. C.) 95Fed. S38; Ilagar v. Donaldson, 154 Pa. 242, 25 Atl. 824; Paradise v. Sun Mut Ins. Co., 0La. Ann. 5′,K>.Property carried Is called “freight;” the reward, if any, to be paid for its carriage iscalled “freightage;” the person who delivers the freight to the carrier is called the”consignor;” and the person to whom it is to lie delivered is called the “consignee.” CivilCode Cal.
What is FREIGHT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?