Freight is properly the price or compensation paid for the transportationof goods by a carrier, at sea, from port to port. Rut the term is also used to denote thehire paid for the carriage of goods on land from place to place, (usually by a railroadcompany, not an express company,) oron Inland streams or lakes. The name Is also applied to the goods or merchandisetransported by any of the above means. Brit- tan v. Barnaby, 21 IIow. 533, 10 L. Ed.177; Iluth v. Insurance Co., 8 Bosw. (X. V.) 552; Christie v. Davis Coal Co. (D. C.) 95Fed. S38; Ilagar v. Donaldson, 154 Pa. 242, 25 Atl. 824; Paradise v. Sun Mut Ins. Co., 0La. Ann. 5′,K>.Property carried Is called “freight;” the reward, if any, to be paid for its carriage iscalled “freightage;” the person who delivers the freight to the carrier is called the”consignor;” and the person to whom it is to lie delivered is called the “consignee.” CivilCode Cal.
What is FREIGHT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?