An estate in land or other real property, of uncertain duration; that is,either of inheritance or which may possibly last for the life of the tenant at the least, (asdistinguished from a leasehold;) and held by a free tenure, (as distinguished from copyholdor villeinage.) Nevitt v. Woodburn, 175 111. 376, 51 N. E. 593; Railroad Co. v.Hemphill, 35 Miss. 22; Nellis v. Munson, 108 N. Y. 453, 15 N. E. 739; Jones v. Jones, 20 Ga. 700.Such an interest in lands of frank-tenement as may endure not only during theowner’s life, but which is cast after his death upon the persons who successivelyrepresent him, according to certain rules elsewhere explained.Such persons are called “heirs,” and lie whom they thus represent, the “ancestor.”When the interest extends beyond the ancestor’s life, it is called a “freehold ofinheritance,and, when it only endures for the ancestor’s life, it is a freehold not of inheritance.An estate to be a freehold must possess those two qualities: (1) Immobility, that is,the property must be either land or some interest issuing out of or annexed to laud;and (21 indeterminate duration, for, if the utmost period of time to which an estate canendure be fixed and detenuined, it cannot be a freehold. Wharton.
What is FREEHOLD?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?