An estate in land or other real property, of uncertain duration; that is,either of inheritance or which may possibly last for the life of the tenant at the least, (asdistinguished from a leasehold;) and held by a free tenure, (as distinguished from copyholdor villeinage.) Nevitt v. Woodburn, 175 111. 376, 51 N. E. 593; Railroad Co. v.Hemphill, 35 Miss. 22; Nellis v. Munson, 108 N. Y. 453, 15 N. E. 739; Jones v. Jones, 20 Ga. 700.Such an interest in lands of frank-tenement as may endure not only during theowner’s life, but which is cast after his death upon the persons who successivelyrepresent him, according to certain rules elsewhere explained.Such persons are called “heirs,” and lie whom they thus represent, the “ancestor.”When the interest extends beyond the ancestor’s life, it is called a “freehold ofinheritance,and, when it only endures for the ancestor’s life, it is a freehold not of inheritance.An estate to be a freehold must possess those two qualities: (1) Immobility, that is,the property must be either land or some interest issuing out of or annexed to laud;and (21 indeterminate duration, for, if the utmost period of time to which an estate canendure be fixed and detenuined, it cannot be a freehold. Wharton.
What is FREEHOLD?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?