The act of the buying or contracting for any merchandise or provision on its way to the market, with the intention of selling it again at ahigher price; or the dissuading persons from bringing their goods or provisions there; orpersuading them to enhance the price when there. 4 Rl. Comm. 158. l’.ar- ton v. Morris,10 Phila. (Pa.) 301. This was formerly an indictable offense in England, but is nowabolished by St. 7 & 8 Vict. c. 24. 4 Steph. Comm. 201, note.Forestalling differs from “engrossing,” in that the latter consists in buying up largequantities of merchandise already on the market, with a view to effecting a monopolyor acquiring so large a quantity as to be able to dictate prices. Loth forestalling andengrossing may enter into the manipulation of what is now called a “corner.”
What is FORESTALLING THE MARKET?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- How To Take Someone To Small Claims Court
- What is Jury Nullification?
- Guide to Court Ordered Mediation
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?