An assumption or supposition of law that something which is or may befalse is true, or that a state of facts exists-which has never really taken place. New Hampshire Strafford Bank v. Cornell, 2 N. H.324; Hibberd v. Smith, 07 Cal. 547, 4 Pac. 473, 56 Am. Rep. 720.A fiction is a rule of law which assumes as true, and will not allow to be disproved,something which is false, but not impossible. Best, Ev. 419.These assumptions are of an innocent or even beneficial character, and are madefor the advancement of the ends of justice. They secure this end chiefly by theextension of procedure from cases to which it is applicable to other cases to which it isnot strictly applicable, the ground of inapplicability being some difference of animmaterial character. Brown.Fictions are to be distinguished from presumptions of law. By the former, somethingknown to be false or unreal is assumed as true; by the latter, an inference is set up,which may be and probably is true, but which, at any rate, the law will not permit to be controverted.Mr. Best distinguishes legal fictions from presumptions juris et de jure, and dividesthem into three kinds,
What is FICTION?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?