The gift of any corporeal hereditament to another, (2 Bl. Comm. 310),operating by transmutation of possession, and requiring, as essential to its completion,that the seisen be passed, (Watk. Conv. 183), which might be accomplished either byinvestiture or by livery of seisin. 1 Washb. Real Prop. 33. See Thatcher v. Omans, 3Pick. (Mass.) 532; French v. French, 3 N. H. 200; Perry v. Price, 1 Mo. 554; Orndoff v.Turman, 2 Leigh (Va.) 233, 21 Am. Dec. COS.Also the deel or conveyance by which such corporeal hereditament is passed.A feoffment originally meant the grant of a feud or fee; that is, a barony or knight’sfee, for which certain services were due from the feoffee to the feoffor. This was theproper sense of the word ; but by custom it came afterwards to signify also a grant(with livery of seisin) of a free inheritance to a man and his heirs, referring rather to theperpetuity of the estate than to the feudal tenure. 1 Reeve. Eng. Law, 00, 91. It was forages the only method (in ordinary use) for conveying the freehold of land in possession,but has now fallen in great measure into disuse, even in England, having been almostentirely supplanted by some of that class of conveyances founded on the statute law ofthe realm. 1 Steph. Comm. 407, 408.
What is FEOFFMENT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?