The gift of any corporeal hereditament to another, (2 Bl. Comm. 310),operating by transmutation of possession, and requiring, as essential to its completion,that the seisen be passed, (Watk. Conv. 183), which might be accomplished either byinvestiture or by livery of seisin. 1 Washb. Real Prop. 33. See Thatcher v. Omans, 3Pick. (Mass.) 532; French v. French, 3 N. H. 200; Perry v. Price, 1 Mo. 554; Orndoff v.Turman, 2 Leigh (Va.) 233, 21 Am. Dec. COS.Also the deel or conveyance by which such corporeal hereditament is passed.A feoffment originally meant the grant of a feud or fee; that is, a barony or knight’sfee, for which certain services were due from the feoffee to the feoffor. This was theproper sense of the word ; but by custom it came afterwards to signify also a grant(with livery of seisin) of a free inheritance to a man and his heirs, referring rather to theperpetuity of the estate than to the feudal tenure. 1 Reeve. Eng. Law, 00, 91. It was forages the only method (in ordinary use) for conveying the freehold of land in possession,but has now fallen in great measure into disuse, even in England, having been almostentirely supplanted by some of that class of conveyances founded on the statute law ofthe realm. 1 Steph. Comm. 407, 408.
What is FEOFFMENT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?