In feudal law. Fidelity; allegiance to the feudal lord of the manor; thefeudal obligation resting upon the tenant or vassal by which he was bound to he faithfuland true to bis lord, and render him obedience and service. See I)e I’oyster v. Michael,0 N. Y. 497. 57 Am. Dec. 470.Fealty signifies fidelity, the phrase “foal and leal” meaning simply “faithful and loyal.”Tenants by knights’ service and also tenants in socage were required to take an oath offealty to the king or others, their immediate lords; and fealty was one of the conditionsof their tenure, the breach of which operated a forfeiture of their estates. Brown.Although foreign jurists consider fealty and homage as convertible tonus, boornise insome continental countries they arc blended so a* to form ono engagement, yet theyare not to ho confounded in our country, for thev do not imply the same tiling. Immunefjeing the acknowledgment of tenure, and fealty, the vassal oath of fidelity, being theessential feudal bond, and the animating .principle of a feud, without which it could notsubsist. Wharton.
What is FEALTY?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- How To Take Someone To Small Claims Court
- What is Jury Nullification?
- Guide to Court Ordered Mediation
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?