This word properly denotes a voluntary surrender of rights orclaims; the act of divesting oneself of that which was previously claimed as one’s own,or renouncing it. In this sense it is the opposite of “appropriation.” But a meaning hasbeen attached to the term, imported from its use in foreign jurisprudence, which makesit synonymous with the exercise of the power of eminent domain, i. e., the compulsorytaking from a person, on compensation made, of his private property for the use of arailroad, canal, or other public work.In French law. Expropriation is the compulsory realization of a debt by the creditorout of the lands of his debtor, or the usufruct thereof. When the debtor is co- tenantwith others, it is necessary that a partition should first be made. It Is confined. in thefirst place, to the lands (if any) that are in hypotheque, but afterwards extends to thelands not in hypnthdque. Moreover, the debt must be of a liquidated amount. Brown.
What is EXPROPRIATION?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?