In medical jurisprudence. A disease of the brain, which occurs in paroxysmswith uncertain intervals between them.The disease is generally organic, though it may be functional and symptomatic ofirritation in other parts of the body. The attack is characterized by loss ofconsciousness, sudden falling down, distortion of the eyes an 1 face, grinding orgnashing of the teeth, stertorous respiration, and more or less severe muscular spasmsor convulsions. Epilepsy, though a disease of the brain, is not to be regarded as a formof insanity, in the sense that a person thus afflicted can be said to be permanentlyinsane, for there may he little or no mental aberration in tile intervals between theattacks. But the paroxysm is frequently followed by a temporary insanity, varying inparticular instances from slight alienation to the most violent mania. In the latter formthe affection is known as “epileptic fury.” But this generally passes off within a fewdays. But the course of the principal disease is generally one of deterioration, the brainbeing gradually more and more deranged in its functions in the intervals of attack, andthe memory and intellectual powers in general becoming enfeebled, leading to a greatlyimpaired state of mental efficiency, or to dementia, or a condition bordering onimbecility. See Aurentz v. Anderson, 3 Pittsh. I!. (I’a.l 310; Lnwton v. Sun Mutual Ins.Co.. 2 Cush. (Mass.) 517.
What is EPILEPSY?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?