The act of one who voluntarily enters the military or naval service ofthe government contracting to serve in a subordinate capacity. Morrisscy v. Perry, 137U. S. 157, 11 Sup. Ct. 57, 34 L. Ed. 044; Babbitt v. U. S., 16 Ct. CI. 213; Erichson v.Beach, 40 Conn. 2S6.The words “enlist” and “enlistment,” in law, as in common usage, may signify eitherthe complete fact of entering into the military service, or the first step taken by therecruit to wards that end. When used in the former sense, as in statutes conferring a right tocompel the military service of enlisted men, the enlistment is not deemed completeduntil the man has been mustered into the service. Tyler v. Pomeroy, 8 Allen (Mass.)480.Enlistment does not include the entry of a person into the military service under acommission as an ollieer. llilliard v. Stewarts- town. 48 N. H. 280.Enlisted applies to a drafted man as well as a volunteer, whose name is duly enteredon the military rolls. Sheffield v. Otis, 107 Mass. 282.
What is ENLISTMENT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How to Fill Out Form W-9
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?