1. The assignment of dower; the setting off a woman’s dower. 2 Bl.Comm. 135.2. In appropriations of churches, (in English law,) the setting off a sufficient maintenancefor the vicar in perpetuity. 1 Bl. Comm. 3S7.3. The act of settling a fund, or permanent pecuniary provision, for the maintenanceof a public institution, charity, college, etc.4. A fund settled upon a public institution, etc., for its maintenance or use.The words “endowment” and “fund,” iu a statute exempting from taxation the realestate, the furniture and personal property, and the “endowment or fund” of religiousand educational corporations, are ejusdem generis, and intended to comprehend a classof property different from tlie other two, not real estate or chattels. The differencebetween (lie words is that “fund” is a general term, including tlie endowment, while”endowment” means that particular fund, or part of the fund, of tlie institution,bestowed for its more permanent uses, and usually kept sacred for the purposesintended. The word “endowment” does not, in such an enactment, include real estate.See First Reformed Dutch Church v. Lyon. 32 N. J. Law. 300; Appeal of WagnerInstitute. 110 Pa. 555, 11 Atl. 402; Flovd v. Rankin, ,Nti Cal. 150. 24 Pac. 030; Liggettv. Ladd, 17 Or. 80. 21 Pac. 133.
What is ENDOWMENT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Why People Marched On Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?