(Lat. lie has chosen.) This is the name, in English practice, of a writ ofexecution first given by the statute of Westm. 2 (13 Edw. I. c. IS) either upon ajudgment for a debt or damages or upon the forfeiture of a recognizance taken in theking’s court. It is so called because it is in the choice or election of the plaintiff whetherhe will sue out this writ or a /?,. fa. By it the defendant’s goods and chattels are appraisedand all of them (except oxen and beasts of the plow) are delivered to theplaintiff, at such reasonable appraisement and price, in part satisfaction of his debt. Ifthe goods are not sufficient, then the moiety of his freehold lands, which be had at thetime of the judgment given, are also to be delivered to tlie plaintiff, to hold till out of tlierents and profits thereof the debt be levied, or till the defendant’s interest be expired.During this period the plaintiff is called “tenant by elegit.” and his estate, an “estate byelegit.” This writ, or its analogue, is in use in some of the United States, as Virginia andKentucky. See 3 Bl. Comm. 418; Ilutcheson v. Grubbs, 80 Va. 254; North American F.Ins. Co. v. Graham, 5 Sandf. (N. Y.) 197.
What is ELEGIT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- What Happened At Capitol Hill: A Blow-By-Blow
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?