Like the internet this predecessor to electronic commerce is a standards-based system, independent of the type of computer hardware and software employed. It facilitates computer-to-computer exchange of electronic documents, such as purchase orders, advance shipment notices, and invoices. It reduces or eliminates human intervention or human-readable documents, be they paper or electronic. Firms using EDI are globally interconnected through a computer network, independent of the internet. Attempts are underway to integrate the two networks, EDI and eCommerce. EDI eliminates manual re-keying of data, cuts order processing costs, increases data accuracy, improves cycle time, and makes just-in-time deliveries possible. EDI has been suitable only for large North American and European corporations and banks.
What is ELECTRONIC DATA INTERCHANGE (EDI)?
- ELECTRONIC DATA INTERCHANGE FOR ADMINISTRATION, COMMERCE, AND TRANSPORTATION (EDIFACT)
- ELECTRONIC DATA PROCESSING COVERAGE
- ELECTRONIC DATA PROCESSING (EDP)
- ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT
- ELECTRONIC COMMERCE (E-COMMERCE)
- ELECTRONIC DATA CAPTURE
- ELECTRONIC DATA GATHERING AND RETRIEVAL (EDGAR)
- AUTOMATIC DATA CAPTURE
- ELECTRONIC BUSINESS (E-BUSINESS)
- DATA PROCESSING
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is a statute of limitations and how long does it last?
- What is the Fair Housing Act and who does it protect?
- How Long is a Life Sentence?
- What is Entrapment?
- A Guide to the Types & Classes of Bankruptcy
- A Simple Guide to Medicare vs Medicaid
- What are the Miranda Rights?
- Property Management Law
- How Arbitration Works
- What is the Fourth Amendment?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?