A tribunal of special jurisdiction, held before the chancellorof the duchy, or his deputy, concerning all matters of equity relating to lands holden ofthe crown in right of the duchy of Lancaster; which is a thing very distinct from thecounty palatine, (which has also its separate chancery, for sealing of writs, and thelike.) and comprises much territory which lies at a vast distance from it; as particularly avery large district surrounded by the city of Westminster. The proceedings in this courtare the 6ame as were those on the equity side of tlie court of chancery, so that itseems not to be a court of record ; and. indeed, it has been holden that the court ofchancery has a concurrent jurisdiction with the duchy court, and may take cognizanceof the same causes. The appeal from this court lies to the court of appeal. Jud. Act1873,
What is DUCHY COURT OF LANCASTER?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- How To Take Someone To Small Claims Court
- What is Jury Nullification?
- Guide to Court Ordered Mediation
- Workplace Retaliation – What It Is And How To Handle It
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check