In French law. Right, justice, equity, law, the whole body of law; also a right.This term exhibits the same ambiguity which Is discoverable in the German equivalent.”rccht” and the English word “right.” On the one hand, these terms answer to theRoman “jus,” and thus indicate law in the abstract, considered as the foundation of allrights, or the complex of underlying moral principles which impart the character ofjustice to all positive law, or give it an ethical content. Taken in this abstract sense, theterms may be adjectives, in which case they are equivalent to “just,” or nouns, In whichcase they may be paraphrased by the expressions “justice,” “morality,” or “equity.” Onthe other hand, they serve to point out a right; that is, a power, privilege, faculty, ordemand, inherent in one person, and incident upon another. In the latter signification,droit (or recht or right) is the correlative of “duty” or “obligation.” In the former sense,It may be considered as opposed to wrong, injustice, or the absence of law. Droit hasthe further ambiguity that it is sometimes used to denote the existing body of law considered as one whole, or the sum total of a number of Individuallaws taken together. See Jus; RECIIT; RIGHT.
What is DROIT?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is Racketeering?
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?