Ownership, or right to property. 2 Bl. Comm. 1. Title to an article ofproperty which arises from the power of disposition and the right of claiming it Bilker v.Westcott, 73 Tex. 129, 11 S. W. 157. “The holder has the dominion of the bill.” 8 East, 579.Sovereignty or lordship; as the dominion of the seas. Moll, de Jure Mar. 91, 92.In the civil law, with reference to the title to property which is transferred by a saleof it, dominion is said to he either “proximate” or “remote.” the former being the kind oftitle vesting in the purchaser when he has acquired both the ownership and thepossession of the article, the latter describing the nature of his title when he haslegitimately acquired the ownership of the property but there has been no delivery.Coles v. Perry, 7 Tex. 109.
What is DOMINION?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Martial Law: Everything You Need To Know In 2020
- W-9s: What It Is, Who They’re For, & How To Fill It Out
- Marijuana: Recreational, Grow, & Medical Laws By State 2020
- Economic Recession VS Depression: Similarities & Differences
- Brexit Explained For Those Who Don’t Live In The UK
- Imperialism Definition, Laws, & History: From Rome To Now
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online