In practice. Thetermination of an action, in consequence of the plaintiff’s omitting to continue the processor proceedings by proper entries on the record. 3 Bl. Comm. 296; 1 Tidd, Pr. 678;2 Arch. Pr. K. B. 233. Hadwin v. Railway Co., 67 S. C. 463, 45 S. E. 1019; Gillespie v.Bailey, 12 W. Va. 70, 29 Am. Rep. 455; Kennedy v. McNiclcle, 7 Pliila. (Pa.) 217;Insurance Co. v. Francis, 52 Miss. 467, 24 Am. Rep. 674.In practice, a discontinuance is a chasm or gap left by neglecting to enter acontinuance. By our practice, a neglect to enter a continuance, even in a defaultedaction, by no means puts an end to it, and such actions may always be broughtforward. Taft v. Northern Transp. Co., 5G N. II. 416.The cessation of the proceedings in an action where (be plaintiff voluntarily puts anend to it, either by giving notice in writing to the defendant before any step bas beentaken in the action subsequent to the answer, or at any other time by order of the court or a judge.In practice, discontinuance and dismissal import the same thing, viz., that the causeis sent out of court. Thurman v. James, 48 Mo. 2″5.In pleading. That technical interruption of the proceedings in an action which followswhere a defendant does not answer the whole of the plaintiff’s declaration, and the plaintiff omits to take judgment for the part unanswered.Steph. PL 216, 217.
What is DISCONTINUANCE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?