The repudiation or renunciation of a right or claim vested in a personor which he had formerly alleged to be his. The refusal, waiver, or denial of an estate orright offered to a person. The disavowal, denial, or renunciation of an Interest, right, orproperty imputed to a person or alleged to be his. Also the declaration, or theinstrument, by which such disclaimer is published. Moores v. Clackamas County, 40 Or.536, 67 Pac. 662.Of estates. The act by which a party refuses to accept an estate which has beenconveyed to him. Thus, a trustee is said to disclaim who releases to his fellow-trusteeshis estate, and relieves himself of the trust. Watson v. Watson, 13 Conn. 85; KentuckyUnion Co. v. Cornett, 112 Ky. 677, 66 S. W. 728.A renunciation or a denial by a tenant of his landlord’s title, either by refusing to payrent, denying any obligation to pay, or by setting up a title in himself or a third person,and this is a distinct ground of forfeiture of the lease or other tenancy, whether of landor tithe. See 16 Ch. Div. 730.In pleading. A renunciation by the defendant of all claim to the subject of the demandmade by the plaintiff’s bill. Coop. Eq. PI. 300; Mitf. Eq. PI. 318.In patent law. When the title and specifications of a patent do not agree, or whenpart of that which it covers is not strictly patentable, because neither new nor useful,the patentee is empowered, with leave of the court to enter a disclaimer of any part ofeither the title or the specification, and the disclaimer is then deemed to be part of theletters patent or specification, so as to render them valid for the future. Johns. Pat. 151.
What is DISCLAIMER?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Suing Your Landlord: How, When, Why, & Should You Bother?
- Drug Decriminalization Laws Setup For Rehaul Throughout US
- Why Trump’s Lawsuit Tactics Won’t Turn The Election
- What Is Impeachment & How Does It Work, Exactly?
- War Drafts – What You Should Know About the Return of the Draft
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?