In general. A statement, remark, or observation. Oralis dictum; a gratuitousor voluntary representation; one which a party is not bound to make. 2 Kent,Comm. 480. Simplex dictum; a mere assertion ; an assertion without proof. Bract, fol. 320.The word is generally used as an abbreviated form of obiter dictum, “a remark bythe way;” that is, an observation or remark made by a judge in pronouncing an opinionupon a cause, concerning some rule, principle, or application of law, or the solution of aQuestion suggested by the case at bar, but not necessarily involved in the case oressential to its determination; any statement of the law enunciated by the court merelyby way of illustration, argument, analogy, or suggestion. See Railroad Co. v. Schutte,103U. S. 118, 143, 26 L. Ed. 327; In re Woodruff (D. C.) 96 Fed. 317; Hart v. Stribling. 25Fla. 433, 6 South. 455; Buchner v. Railroad Co., 60 Wis. 264, 19 N. W. 56; Rush v.French, 1 Ariz. 99, 25 Pac. 816; State v. Clarke, 3 Nev. 572.Dicta are opinions of a judge which do not embody the resolution or determinationof the court, and made without argument, or full consideration of the point, are not theprofessed deliberate determinations of the judge himself. Obiter dicta are such opinionsuttered by the way, not upon the point or question pending, as if turning aside for thetime from the main topic of the case to collateral subjects, ltohrbach v. Insurance Co.,62 N. Y. 47, 58, 20 Am. Rep. 451.In old English law. Dictum meant an arbitrament, or the award of arbitrators.In French law. The report of a judgment made by one of the judges who has givenit Poth. Proc. Civil, pt 1, c. 5, art. 2.
What is DICTUM?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Trump Is – Officially – The First President To Be Impeached Twice
- Trump Plans To Run 2024, But Can He Pardon Himself?
- Will Trump Get Indicted Or Impeached (Round 2)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?