The transfer or transition from one person to another of a right,liability, title, estate, or office. Francisco v. Aguirre, 94 Cal. ISO, 29 Pac. 495; Owen v.Insurance Co., 50 Hun, 455, 10 N. Y. Supp. 75.Iu ecclesiastical law. The forfeiture of a right or power (as the right of presentationto a living) in consequence of its non-user by the person holding it, or of some other actor omission on his part, and its resulting transfer to the person next entitled.In Scotch law. The transference of the right of purchase, from the highest bidder atan auction sale, to the next highest, when the former fails to pay his bid or furnish securityfor its payment within the time appointed. Also, the reference of a matter incontroversy to a third person (called “overs- man”) by two arbitrators to whom it hasbeen submitted and who are unable to agree.
What is DEVOLUTION?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How To Get an EIN Number
- What is a Credit Freeze?
- The 14th Amendment Explained
- What is the Security Exchange Commission?
- Restitution Law – What it is, How to Avoid it, and Tips on Asking for It
- Should I Freeze My Credit?
- Living Will – The Pros & Cons You Need to Know
- What does it mean to be acquitted?
- Forming an LLC in Missouri
- Double Jeopardy Law
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?