A substitute; a person duly authorized by an officer to exercise some or allof the functions pertaining to the office, in tlie place and stead of the latter. Carter v.Horiiback, 139 Mo. 23& 40 S. W. 893; Herring v. Lee, 22 W. Va. 007; Erwin v. U. S. (D.C.) 37 Fed. 476, 2 L. R. A. 229; Wil- lingham v. State, 21 Fla. 776; Ellison v. Stevenson,6 T. B. Mon. (Ky.) 271; People v. Barker, 14 Misc. Rep. 3(10, 35 N. Y. Supp. 727.A deputy differs from an assignee, in that an assignee has an interest in the officeitself, and does all things in his own name, for whom his grantor shall not answer,except in special cases ; but a deputy has not any interest in the office, and is only theshadow of the officer in whose name he acts. And there is a distinction in doing an actby an agent and by a deputy. An agent can only bind his principal when he does the actin the name of the principal. But a deputy may do the act and sign his own name, andit binds his principal; for a deputy has, in law, the whole power of his principal.Wharton.
What is DEPUTY?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Conservatorship vs Guardianship
- Housing For Felons
- How to Fill Out Form W-9
- Section 42 Housing
- Types of License Classes
- What Can You Do If a Judge is Unfair?
- How to Sue an Apartment Complex
- Is Giuliani Facing Being Disbarred?
- Biden’s Newly-Threatened Impeachment… Wait, What?
- Trump Refusing To Pay Lawyer Rudy Giuliani
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?