An instrument which defeats the force or operation of some otherdeed or estate. That which is in the same deed is called a “condition;” and that which isin another deed is a “defeasance.” Com. Dig. “Defeasance.”In conveyancing. A collateral deed made at the same time with a feoffment or otherconveyance, containing certain conditions, upon the performance of which the estatethen created may be defeated or totally undone. 2 Bl. Comm. 327 ; Co. Litt. 236, 237.An instrument accompanying a bond, recognizance, or judgment, containing a conditionwhich, when performed, defeats or undoes it. 2 Bl. Comm. 342; Co. Litt. 230,237; Miller v. Quick, 158 Mo. 495, 59 S. W. 955; Harrison v. Philips’ Academy, 12 Mass.456; Lippincott v. Tilton, 14 N. J. Law, 361; Nugent v. Itiley, 1 Mete. (Mass.) 119, 35Am. Dec. 355.
What is DEFEASANCE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- FAQ About The Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?