The estate to which by common law a man is entitled, on the death of his wife, in the lands or tenements of which she was seised iu possession in fee-simple or in tail (luring her coverture, provided they have had lawful issue born alive which might have been capable of inheriting the estate. It is a freehold estate for the term of his natural life. 1 Washb. Real Prop. 127; 2 Bl. Comm. 126; Co. Litt. 30a; Dozier v. Toalson, 180 Mo. 540, 79 S. W. 420. 103 Am. St. Rep. 5S6; Valentine v. Hutchinson, 43 Misc. Rep. 314, 88 N. Y. Supp. 802; Redus v. Hayden. 43 Miss. 614; Billings v. Baker, 28 Barb. (N. Y.) 343; Templeton v. Twitty. 88 Tenn. 595, 14 S. W. 435; Jackson v. John CURTESY 309 CUSTOM son, 5 Cow. (N. Y.) 74, 15 Am. Dec. 433; Ryan v. Freeman, 36 Miss. 175. Initiate and consummate. Curtesy initiate is the interest which a husband has in his wife’s estate after the birth of issue capable of inheriting, and before tlie death of the wife; after her death, it becomes an estate “by the curtesy consummate.” Wait v. Wait. 4 I’arb. (N. Y.t 205: Churchill v. Hudson (C. C.I 34 Fed. 14; Turner v. Heinberg, 30 Ind. App. 615, 05 N. E. 294.
What is CURTESY?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way To Run A Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- What Rights Do Convicted Felons Lose?