Blamable; censurable; involving the breach of a legal duty or the commission of a fault. The term is not necessarily equivalent to “criminal,” for, in present use, and notwithstanding its derivation, it implies that the act or conduct spoken of Is reprehensible or wrong but not that it Involves malice or a guilty purpose. “Culpable” in fact connotes fault rather than guilt. Railway Co. v. Clayberg, 107 111. 051; Bank v. Wright, 8 Allen (Mass.) 121. As to culpable “Homicide,” “Neglect,” and “Negligence,” see those titles.Culpae poena par esto. Poena ad men- ?uram delicti statnenda est. Let the punishment be proportioned to the crime. Punishment is to be measured by the extent of the offense.
What is CULPABLE?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Fake News: History, Laws, & Is It Going To Ruin The Election… Again?
- Privacy Laws: Why It Matters, What To Do, & Important FAQs
- Deportation: Human Rights, FAQ, & What To Do
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA): Limits, Expenses & FAQ
- Census 2020: Everything You Need To Know Before You Say No
- What To Expect With An IRA: Traditional, Roth, SEP, & SIMPLE
- Outdated & Weird Laws You Can Still Be Charged With
- 401(K) Types, Loans, Contribution Limits, & Benefits
- Right To Know Law: Everything You Need To Know
- FAQ About The Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA)
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online