A mathematical measure that quantifies the sensitivity of an ASSET to large changes in price or YIELD. In OPTION contracts convexity (commonly termed GAMMA) measures the change in DELTA for a change in the price of the UNDERLYING; in FIXED INCOME products it measures the change in DURATION for a change in YIELD or INTEREST RATES. Mathematically convexity is the first derivative of a change in value with respect to duration/delta, or the second derivative of a change in value with respect to yield/underlying. Standard convexity calculations for a fixed income security with semiannual coupons are given by: where C is COUPON, t is the time to maturity, y is the semiannual yield, n is the number of semiannual periods, and M is the redemption value of the bond (generally PAR VALUE). Also known as OPTIONALITY. See also NEGATIVE CONVEXITY, NONLINEAR INSTRUMENT, POSITIVE CONVEXITY.
What is CONVEXITY?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What is a statute of limitations and how long does it last?
- What is the Fair Housing Act and who does it protect?
- How Long is a Life Sentence?
- What is Entrapment?
- A Guide to the Types & Classes of Bankruptcy
- A Simple Guide to Medicare vs Medicaid
- What are the Miranda Rights?
- Property Management Law
- How Arbitration Works
- What is the Fourth Amendment?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?