Lat. The custom of merchants, the same with lex meroatoria. Consuetudo contra rationem intro- ducta potius usurpatio quam consuetudo appellari debet. A custom introduced against reason ought rather to be called a “usurpation” than a “custom.” Co. Litt. 113. Consuetudo debet esse certa; nam in- certa pro nulla habetur. Dav. 33. A custom should be certain; for an uncertain custom is considered null. Consuetudo est altera lex. Custom Is another law. 4 Coke, 21. Consuetudo est optimus interpret le- gnm. 2 Inst. 18. Custom is the best expounder of the laws. Consuetudo et communis assuetudo vincit legem non scriptam, si sit spe- cialis; et interpretatur legem scriptam, si lex sit generalis. Jenk. Cent. 273. Custom and common usage overcomes the unwritten law, if it be special; and interprets the written law, If the law be general. Consuetudo ex certa causa rationablli nsitata privat communem legem. A custom, grounded on a certain and reasonable cause, supersedes the common law. Litt.
What is CONSUETUDO MERCATOR- UIN?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- How Long is a Life Sentence?
- What is Entrapment?
- A Guide to the Types & Classes of Bankruptcy
- A Simple Guide to Medicare vs Medicaid
- What are the Miranda Rights?
- Property Management Law
- How Arbitration Works
- What is the Fourth Amendment?
- How To Start a Sole Proprietorship
- What Does Emancipation Mean?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?