In admiralty law. The judgment or sentence of a court having jurisdiction and acting in rem, by which (1) it is declared that a vessel which has been captured at sea as a prize was lawfully so seized and is liable to be treated as prize; or (2) that property which has been seized for an alleged violation of the revenue laws, neutrality laws, navigation laws, etc., was lawfully so seized, and Is, for such cause, forfeited to the government: or (3) that the vessel which Is the subject of inquiry Is unfit and unsafe for navigation. Gallagher v. Murray, 9 Fed. Cas. 10S7. In the civil law. A sentence or judgment which condemns some one to do, to give, or to pay something, or which declares that his claim or pretensions are unfounded. Lockwood v. Saffold, 1 Ga. 72. In real-property law. The process by which property of a private owner Is taken for public use, without his consent, but upon the award and payment of just compensation, being in the nature of a forced sale. Atlanta, K. & N. R. Co. v. Southern Ry. Co., 131 Fed. 666, 66 C. C. A. 001; Venable v. Railway Co., 112 Mo. 103. 20 S. W. 493, 18 L R. A. 68; In re Rugheimer (D. C.) 36 Fed. 369
What is CONDEMNATION?
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- What Can You Do At 18 Legally?
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Why Do Policemen Touch Your Tail Light When They Pull You Over?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?