A SECU RITIZATION structure that repackages pools of MORTGAGE BACKED SECURITIES, WHOLE LOANS, or mortgagebacked STRIPs into TRANCHES with specific RISK and return (YIELD) profiles. CMO structures are available in many different forms, some of them esoteric, risky, and ILLIQUID. However, the largest portion of the market is centered on standard instruments with reasonable RISK and LIQUIDITY parameters. The most common version of the CMO is based on sequential pay tranching, with COUPON payments, and then PRINCIPAL payments, allocated to investors in order of priority. Once all the tranches have been retired in sequence, the remaining ACCRUAL BOND (ZBOND) is paid; since the accrual bond receives no CASH FLOWS until all others have been paid, it protects the cash flow payment stream for the entire structure. See also COMPANION BOND, INTERESTONLY STRIP, PLANNED AMORTIZATION CLASS BOND, PRINCIPAL ONLY STRIP, TARGETED AMORTIZATION CLASS BOND.
What is COLLATERALIZED MORTGAGE OBLIGATION (CMO)?
- COLLATERALIZED BOND OBLIGATION (CBO)
- ARBITRAGE COLLATERALIZED DEBT OBLIGATION
- COLLATERALIZED LOAN OBLIGATION (CLO)
- COLLATERALIZED MORTGAGED OBLIGATION (CMO)
- SYNTHETIC COLLATERALIZED DEBT OBLIGATION (CDO)
- CASH COLLATERALIZED DEBT OBLIGATION
- ACCRUAL BOND
- GENERAL OBLIGATION BOND
- GUARANTEED MORTGAGE CERTIFICATE (GMC)
- MORTGAGE PURCHASE BOND
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Nepotism, Cronyism, & Favoritism: Illegal Or Unethical?
- How To Get A Green Card
- How To Obtain A Criminal Background Check In Pennsylvania
- How To Avoid Probate
- How To Check If A Number Is On The Do Not Call List
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?