Written or oral agreement associated as a second, or side contract made between the original parties, or between a third party and an original party. This typically occurs before or at the same time of the first or main contract is made. This collateral contract is independent and separate from the primary contract. A collateral contract is often done because (1). Its terms conflict with those of the main contract, (2). Its rules of evidence supersede its incorporation in the main contract, (3). The main contract is wrongly drawn or (4). There is a difference in the contracting parties, needing to involve a third party. It may also be used to avoid overstepping the privity of the main contract. A collateral contract is active along with the main contract and it may override or replace one or more of the main contract’s provisions, if triggered. For example, if ‘A’ enters into a construction contract with ‘B’ giving reason for ‘B’ to enter into a contract with ‘C’ for a material used in the construction, ‘A’ may have the right to sue ‘C’ for compensation if the material turns out to be defective. A collateral contract with three or more parties obligates each of the contracting parties to meet their individual accountability to each other party. Called also collateral warranty.
What is COLLATERAL CONTRACT?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Nepotism, Cronyism, & Favoritism: Illegal Or Unethical?
- How To Get A Green Card
- How To Obtain A Criminal Background Check In Pennsylvania
- How To Avoid Probate
- How To Check If A Number Is On The Do Not Call List
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online
- How Do I Check On My Security Clearance Status?