1. From coal: This is pressed solid carbon and flyash residue, resulting from the destructive distillation of bituminous coal, baked in the absence of oxygen in an oven to burn off volatile constituents and fuse the carbon and flyash together. About 90 percent carbon, its heating worth is nearly 25 million BTUs per ton. Burned primarily in iron ore smelting in blast furnaces. Typically, the ratio of about 550 kilograms, or roughly 1200 pounds, of coke is used per one ton of pig iron. This is about a 60% ratio. 2. From oil: The cracking of petroleum is the source of this pressed, solid residue . Five barrels of oil to roughly one ton, or about 900 kg. of coke, is the typical ratio. About 95 percent carbon, it has a heating worth of about 26.5 million BTUs per ton, and is consumed primarily as a refractory lining for arc furnaces and in the manufacture of synthesis gas and carbon electrodes.
What is COKE?
Enter your email address to stay current on legal news and receive special offers
Featuring Black’s Law Dictionary
Nothing implied or stated on this page should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. The Law Dictionary is not a law firm and this page should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal adviser relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney.
- W-9s: What It Is, Who They’re For, & How To Fill It Out
- Marijuana: Recreational, Grow, & Medical Laws By State 2020
- Economic Recession VS Depression: Similarities & Differences
- Brexit Explained For Those Who Don’t Live In The UK
- Imperialism Definition, Laws, & History: From Rome To Now
- Capitalism, Socialism, & Communism Explained In Plain English
- What Is A Government Shutdown & Who Does It Affect?
- Is It A Monopoly? Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- Breach Of Contract: What It Is, Types, Examples, & Resolving Them
- Plausible Deniability Definition, Examples, & Laws
- Best Way to Find Someone in Jail for Free
- How Do You Look up License Plate Numbers?
- What Is A Police Welfare Check?
- Best Way to Run a Free Arrest Warrant Check
- Signing a Letter on Someone Else’s Behalf
- How To Find An Inmate’s Release Date
- How To Find A Name & Address Using A License Plate Number
- Best Way to Write a Professional Letter to a Judge
- How to Transfer a Car Title When The Owner Is Deceased
- How To Look Up My Court Date Online